The Emergency Food Assistance Program

How can this program help my family?

This program provides emergency food, including United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) commodities, to each state. The state then coordinates with local Emergency Feeding Organizations (EFOs) to distribute the emergency food to eligible households through local food banks, food pantries and soup kitchens. 

This assistance is intended to be a supplement;  typically the products distributed to each household provide between three and five days of food.

Am I eligible for assistance?

Please use the chart below to determine if your current income is below the income limit.

Where can I apply for TEFAP?

Type your address in the box below and click the Search button to find the organization providing emergency food assistance in your area.

What kinds of foods are available?

The types of food available for distribution depend on agricultural market conditions and may include canned vegetables and fruits, pasta, beans, tuna, peanut butter and occasionally frozen protein products such as chicken.

What are the application requirements?

In order to apply for emergency food assistance or to determine your eligibility to receive TEFAP commodities, contact the Emergency Feeding Organization in your community.

You will need to provide information related to your family's circumstances. This can include who lives in your family, the amount of income received by household members and demographic information. For more information, contact the organization providing this assistance in your area. 

USDA Non-Discrimination Statement


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.